Attached is a ‘must read’ article for all business owners in the Healthcare sector.
A few key points :
- There has been a significant increase in health information being stored and transmitted with the uptake of technologies
- Healthcare sector is the number one sector for data breaches.
- Internal factors (eg: employee carelessness and misbehavior) is the number one cause of breaches within the sector. Why ? Increase in the uptake of technologies, weak internal controls, and lack of cybersecurity awareness.
- High stakes are involved – business, financial, social and reputational repercussions
A good reminder to be proactive and prepare as best as possible to :
- minimise the likelihood of a breach (ie: implement robust and sustainable Privacy practices, staff training, review current practices and systems, regular reviews of data storage process, etc), and
- minimise the damage of a breach when it occurs (eg: Data Breach Response plan).
Enjoy the read….